On November 15, 2021, the Charlottesville City Council unanimously voted to adopt the 2021 Comprehensive Plan update.
The final plan is available here.
What is a Comprehensive Plan?
The Comprehensive Plan is a citywide plan that guides the City as it identifies and addresses future changes in ways that will meet the needs of all of Charlottesville’s citizens. The Plan will identify future actions regarding the City’s growth, its priorities, its development and redevelopment, its health and well-being, and the services that it provides.
The Plan is a general framework that defines:
- The vision for Charlottesville and its people. It reflects the voices of thousands of residents, and is the guiding document for shaping the city’s future.
- Broad policy recommendations to guide decision-making, addressing a range of topic areas, including land use, community facilities, the economy, environmental sustainability, housing, transportation, historic preservation, urban design, and more.
Sections of the 2013 Comprehensive Plan
You can download the full 2013 plan here.
What is being updated in the plan?
The existing Comprehensive Plan was adopted in 2013. In 2017 and 2018, the Planning Commission 2017 and 2018 began updating the document. Cville Plans Together is a process to continue and finalize the updates, including:
- Ensuring that equity is considered throughout the document
- Creating a plan to increase housing affordability in the city
- Updating the land use map (which will be the basis for updates to the zoning ordinance)
- Adding chapters related to Community Engagement and Plan Implementation (with measurable outcomes)
- Meaningful and thorough community engagement to aid the above efforts and tell us what else needs to be adjusted – for example, from initial outreach, we know that transportation and climate change are issues that must be addressed
How can I be involved?
Please stay involved throughout this process! Visit the Stay Involved page to find out more and subscribe to the email list to get updates about meetings and other opportunities.